Saturday, August 10, 2013

Picture Book 10 for 10 - August 10, 2013

I Mustache You a Question!

Do you read picture books?  If so, you've come to the right place!  If not, you've still come to the right place, because this is the perfect way to start finding amazing titles!  Not only will you be able to see ten of my favorite picture books (actually my son's favorite), but you will also be able to see hundreds of other people's favorite picture books.  Today, Cathy Mere and Mandy Robek are celebrating the 4th annual picture book ten for ten! Be sure to click on the picture to be able to read about hundreds of other wonderful picture books that are being shared today!


A few weeks ago, I was telling my five year old about my plans to participate in picture book ten for ten.  He has asked me everyday since if I've decided on my topic.  Until two days ago, I was still unsure about what I was going to share.  Then it hit me, why don't I share picture books about one of his favorite topics?!  Aside from blue footed boobies, he loves anything to do with mustaches.  He gets that uncontrollable belly giggle just hearing the word.  So in honor of my favorite five year old, and him getting ready to take a big leap into kindergarten this year, I will be sharing our favorite books with mustaches!  


1.  Mustache Baby by Bridget Heos

Mustache Baby

2. Mustache! by Mac Barnett and Kevin Cornell

 Mustache!

3.  Big Bushy Mustache by Gary Soto

 Big Bushy Mustache

4.  Moosetache by Margie Palatini

Moosetache

5.  If You Were a Chocolate Mustache by J. Patrick Lewis
**This is actually a collection of hilarious poetry.  

If You Were a Chocolate Mustache

6.  The Magic Mustache by Gary Barwin

Magic Mustache

7.  Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger
**This is actually a chapter book, but I felt it was worth the mention.  Besides, it's hard to find ten picture books about mustaches!!!

Fake Mustache

This is where I'm going to start (well finish) breaking some rules.  I couldn't actually find ten picture books about mustaches - I was shocked!!  Therefore, the final three books are just going to be three of my son's favorite books, non-mustache related.  
8.  The Boy and the Airplane by Mark Pett

13260743

9. Island:  A Story of the Galapagos by Jason Chin
**This is the book that started his fascination with blue footed boobies! 

 Island: A Story of the Galápagos

10.   This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

 13531024

18 comments:

  1. What a fun list! I only know #1 and #10. Who knew there were so many mustache books!??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun list to discover. After I made posted this we read Extra Yarn, and one of the characters has a mustache. My son has insisted I need to mention that one now too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a list...one, I bet, no one will think of!

    Here's my list: Top Ten Edgy Picture Books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you and your son have excellent taste! But, really, I didn't know some of these and mustache my local booksellers or library about some of this. I'm delighted that you and your son enjoyed my book. I wrote it for one of my sons when he was about the same age as your son. It was a bedtime story that when horribly right.

    Best,

    Gary Barwin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! We both loved your book! It was a fun discovery!

      Delete
  4. What a fun list, Stephanie! Thanks for sharing -- I've added a few to my list of "must buys".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun idea! So many ways to create text sets. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a great way for us to read books we may have never picked up otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Stephanie,
    You crack me up! Who knew there were so many picture books about mustaches? I enjoyed seeing your son's favorites. Hope he has a great start in kindergarten.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I have been continuously thinking about this list since our Michigan carPD. I don't know what I would have done without his help!

      Delete
  7. Oh how I love this The other day I passed a man walking his dog and pushing his baby in a stroller. I looked down to smile at the baby and saw a moustache! He had a soother with a moustache attached. So cute! I also love blue footed boobies! Great dancers and so much fun to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone else knows what blue footed boobies are!! At his preschool "graduation" my son had to sing part of a song and wish for more of something. He wished for more "boobies". That was a proud mommy moment. lol

      Delete
  8. Great list - maybe we can toss a few Abraham Lincoln books on since a beard is *almost* a mustache!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! My 5-year-old son is also obsessed with mushtashes. I put several of these on hold for him. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love them. I'm not quite sure why the sudden mustache craze, but it's made for some fun times in our house.

      Delete