Saturday, June 14, 2014

CELEBRATE This Week: June 14, 2014



Life has been full of twists and turns and new beginnings recently.  I have been actively reading the Celebrate posts for the past thirty five weeks and even contributed to one or two.  However, I have been struggling to find a celebration in my life.  Deep down I knew the reason why I was struggling to be happy, but I never thought I had the courage to do anything about it.  One day my five year old daughter made a comment that woke me up out of my funk.  I knew I had to make a major life decision.  Despite the many negative comments that people have shared with me, I knew this decision would be the best one for my children and for me.  My children deserve to have a mommy that's happy all the time.   

My celebration is that I finally decided it was time to leave my husband.  He is a great father and we did have some great times together.  I don't intend to bash him or say negative things about what went wrong.  I am celebrating the fact that we are getting along throughout this entire process.  We are able to have friendly conversations about our future plans and what is best for the children.  I grew up with divorced parents, so he is relying on me to say what will and won't work for the kids.  Many people keep telling me that it won't stay that friendly, but I am going to make this divorce what my marriage was not - a great environment to raise my children.  I was so scared to become another statistic of a failed marriage.  Yes, I am becoming that statistic, but I do plan on becoming a statistic of an even smaller sub group at the same time; a successful co-parenting relationship.  

This process is going to be full of many unpredictable ups and downs.  I have an incredible group of friends and family who are being very supportive with both my ex and myself.   There are some things that I am going to have to give up (All-Write and NerdCamp just to name a few) to make this a smooth process, but in the end that's what will be best for my children.  I looked at a new house today and even though I hate to move from our current house, the move is what will be best for my children.  I'm more than ready to get to know myself again and relearn what it means to be happy and positive!  


4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were able to share your feelings here. I see the results of successful co-parenting in my classroom (as well as the opposite) all the time. Blessings as you move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - I applaud so many things here - your bravery, your ability to hear what your feelings were telling you, your frankness here. So pleased that you have so much support in your life. Know even if it is via the internet that you have much out in the world as well! Best, best, best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you resilience. And that you will come out of this change stronger and happier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello mother! you are very brave! :)

    ReplyDelete