Saturday, June 29, 2013

Unleashing Readers Blog Hop

Welcome to the Unleashing Readers Blog Hop!!  When Kellee sent me the introduction, explaining everything this blog will offer, I was thrilled to be participating in this blog hop.  Here is what Kellee and Ricki have to say about their new blog:  

"The goal of Unleashing Readers is to be a go-to resource for all levels of teachers to find resources for utilizing the best pieces of literature and nonfiction in their classroom. We hope to do this by making our website specifically tailored to give teachers exactly what they need.


For each book we review, we will include a summary, our thoughts, potential discussion questions, quotes/pages we flagged, and books that are similar. To make the review even more useful for teachers, we will include how we would use the book in our classroom, including if we recommend the book for a read aloud, literature circle/book club, close reading/analysis, and/or classroom library buy."


Here are some of my favorite choices: 

My Favorite Read Aloud

This would be a great choice to read aloud to all students in the class. We often suggest this category when the book has strong, widespread appeal to many types of students.
 Hound Dog True
Title: Hound Dog True
Author:  Linda Urban
**This would be a great beginning of the school year read aloud.  Linda Urban addresses the uncertainty of moving to a new school, as well as the importance of using a writer's notebook, in a way that moves readers.


My Favorite Lit Circle/Book Club Book

This text would work very well for discussion within small groups. We often suggest this category when the book offers great points of discussion, but it might not appeal to every student in the class.

Hold Fast

Title:  Hold Fast
Author:  Blue Balliett


My Favorite Close Reading/Analysis Book

There are many passages within the book that would be great for close analysis. We often suggest this category when a book has complex passages or great sections to teach literary elements to students.

The Arrival
Title: The Arrival
Author:  Shaun Tan
My Recommended Classroom Library Buy

This would be a great addition to your classroom library. Often, these books fit well with a specific type of student, but we definitely think it is worth purchasing for your classroom.

Navigating Early

Title:  Navigating Early
Author:  Clare Vanderpool  

My Personal Favorite Book


 Paperboy

Title: Paperboy
Author:  Vince Vawter
Review:   I have read many great books this year, but this is the first book where I wished I could give it more than five stars. Vince Vawter says this book is "more memoir than fiction". I still have chills thinking about the challenges the main character was faced to overcome, all because of a stutter. The choice of words Vince Vawter used, within this story, gives me hope for the world around us.

7 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    There are so many books here that I really need to buy. It was so great to read about books I am not as familiar with. Everyone keeps writing about Paperboy, so I must read that one first! Teaching high school, I have kind of gotten lost in that world, so I am so glad you are helping me refocus my reading efforts! :) :)

    Thanks for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so difficult to pick just one book for each category! Thanks for inviting me to be a part of your blog hop. I think the concept of your blog is awesome!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love these books! The only one I haven't read is Paperboy, but I just held my first summer Mock Newbery 2014 Club on Thurs., and a couple kids had read it and really like it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I really enjoyed the way Vince Vawter chose to write the dialogue in Paperboy. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't gotten to Paperboy either, but have only heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you thing about Paperboy. I'm thinking it has a strong chance at the Schneider Family Book Award.

      Delete
  4. Paperboy is so great! I mention it as a wonderful book to teach language because I think Vince Vawter did such a great job with writing the book to keep The Boy's spirit.
    Love Hound Dog True (it would be a great beginning of the year read aloud!) and The Arrival, but haven't read the others yet.

    Thank you for being part of the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete